Almost every American colony had some form of establishment of religion. This was because their religion consisted of proven and necessary facts of existence. Religion was reliable, logical and rational to them. The modern established religion of Secular Humanism teaches that it is the only scientifically-based belief system in existence. It claims that all other religions are not scientifically-based, but the opposite is true. The Bible, upon which true religion is based, is a book of Science, and Secular Humanism is a religion of mythology.
- … Scientific history … is that the method that we use is something akin to the scientific method. It is based on at least three characteristics …. The first is to establish that the evidence is reliable. The second is making certain that the analysis being made is logical. And third, the analysis must lead to a generalisation that is based on rational argument.1
Since time began man has only been able to take one of three positions toward a scientific fact. The first is belief, which means to accept the fact as it is and interpret its significance correctly. The second is unbelief, which means to reject a fact or give it the wrong interpretation. The third position is some degree of compromise between the other two, such as accepting a fact but wrongly interpreting its significance. It is also possible to misinterpret the true nature of the fact and misapply it to come to other wrong conclusions.
While entire courses can be written on the Scientific method, applying the universal principles of observation, experimentation, hypothesize, test the results, revise the hypothesis to bring it in line with the observed test results, retest, repeat as necessary, then develop a theory, is based on the work of Sir Isaac Newton. No such system, applied to all observable phenomena existed before him.
Newton understood that, “This most beautiful system of the sun, planets, and comets, could only proceed from the counsel and dominion of an intelligent and powerful Being.” Though Newton understood and believed the Bible, he also understood that General Revelation only leads us to a Intelligent Designer, not the God of Glory revealed in the Word of God.
The scientific method of Newton is based entirely on the principles of the Word of God.
- 1) Ex Nihilo; The material world we see was made from things we do not see, cannot measure and are not material.
- 2) Entropy; all energy, matter and matter-energy transformations are toward a greater amount of disorder and less usefulness. In other words in a downward direction. The heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment. Isaiah 51:6 Without intervention, the entire material universe will eventually be motionless at absolute zero.
- 3) Stability; For I am the Lord, I do not change. Malachi 3:6 An experiment, a test, a measurement performed today will yield the same results under the same conditions as any other time the experiment, test or measurement is performed. Therefore it can be accurately repeated.
- 4) Order; A stable universe does not have to be orderly. Yet God gave us an orderly universe. Then God said, “Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years; and let them be for lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so. Genesis 1:14,15 NASB
- From these four foundational principles clearly laid out in the Word of God, Newton deduced the Laws of Motion by observing General Revelation, the material world.
- 5) Inertia; Every object in motion tends to remain in motion unless an external force is applied to it. It is also known as Newton’s First Law of Motion.
- 6) Force equals mass times acceleration (F=ma) This is also known as Newton’s Second Law of Motion. It is similar to Aristotle’s Force equals mass times velocity (F=mv). Newton defined acceleration as a change in velocity. According to Aristotle these is only velocity when there is force. But according to Newton’s first law, inertia, there is velocity without force when the object is already in motion. Thus acceleration is a more accurate term because it is a change in the preexisting velocity, even if that velocity is zero. Though the word acceleration is always used in physics, if the applied force is opposite the existing motion, it is more commonly referred to as deceleration or braking.
- 7) For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. This is also known as Newton’s third law of motion.
- Without these foundational principles, we no longer have science. We a simply left with technology, how things work, not why. And devoid of a moral restraint, technology unchained is the worst of tyrants.
1 Professor Romila Thapar, Frontline magazine Volume 18 – Issue 19, Sep. 15 – 28, 2001 India’s National Magazine from the publishers of THE HINDU.